Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2012

Learning Journal 9

The more experiences I have, in general, the more I begin to recognize that what I focus on, what I dwell on and think about most tends to be the bulk of what I learn in any given situation. From there, I recognize that what I think about most is derived from values that I hold as a person, be they conscious or not. As I prepare to go Tonga this summer, it is important to start realizing what I expectations I hold for the time I spend there. That way, once there, I won't be as much of a lost little sheep. As much.

Anyhow, in class on Wednesday we made a list of what expectations we have for when we are in Tonga. They were just simple jottings of things, and some of mine included things like making lasting friends, learning some of the language, becoming immersed in the culture, and trying new things. A lot of it seemed to focus on ways that I can expand myself, ways that I can learn without imposing myself on their culture. Academically I have expectations as well, to conduct a well thought out research project. To learn how better to approach people, and how to tactfully conduct sensitive interviews. It would seem then, that a lot of my values lie in bettering myself and learning, as well as forming friendships. I value people, learning and growing experiences.

The more I learn, the more I can discover what I will expect from the country, though, to a large degree, I recognize that things will be better than I expected or not measuring to exactly what I expected. I look forward to the experiences that this field study will bring, and how much I will grow from that. I look forward to, and am nervous for, experiences that will challenge my social norms and make me think about what is right or wrong. It will be an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment