Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Learning Journal 11

I would like to start this journal by saying that it is the 11th one, and 11 is my lucky number. Therefore this is obviously going to be the best journal. Anyways, I have been attending the Tongan 102 class here and the more I go, the more I really enjoy it. Learning a new language (even if it's only the basics) helps me realize that I'm going somewhere amazing. The little bits I learn, sentences, phrases, and single words, get me excited for when I will be immersed in a country that natively speaks this beautiful language.

One of my goals for when I am in country is to learn as much Tongan as I can. I realize that the majority of everyone I will be interacting with on a daily basis will speak English, but I will still do my best to pick up Tognan. I think it is important to note, however, that although most people speak English, there will certainly still be differences. For example, phrases might have different meanings because of the culture differences. I think it is possible to run into situations where we will be speaking the same language but not necessarily meaning the same thing. It is then important to be careful in what I say and how I act. To be considerate of their culture and respect them. Language can be a barrier, but can it also open up a whole world of possibilites. I am sure that I will encounter situations wherein I will have no clue what is going on perse but I'm ready for it.

My project, since it deals in gerontology, will most likely focus on interactions with the elderly. I said above that many people in Tonga speak English, which is true, but an exception to that would be the very old. This is another reason that I wish to pick up more of the language. It will be increasingly difficult to conduct my project if I cannot effectively communicate with the patients I interact with. I look forward to the challenge that this language barrrier brings, and all the learning and joyous experiences that are sure to come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment