Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Learning Journal 13

I am really enjoying the class the prep class that I go to in order to prepare for my field study to Tonga this summer. Every time I go I learn something more, either about Tonga, how to further develop my project, people and societies, or how groups act. It's fascinating to learn these things because I can apply them to my daily life. I may just be in the bubble that is Provo, Utah but we are still a culture and society of our own. I can be a participant but observant in any given situation and learn how the people here act and what influences those things. Everything we have learned in my prep class aren't just applicable to the field study I will be going on, they are applicable to wherever you may be at any given time or place.

We made maps of our project ideas and the resources we have found thus far to help us learn about and understand those ideas further. The exercise was very useful in helping point out to me where the weaknesses in my project research lie, and which sources I have found that are pretty much useless in helping me with my project. I can now pinpoint better where I need to direct my researching focus. I need to find more sources that deal in Tongan remedies for Alzheimers (as I have none so far) and in studies done on alzheimers or dementia in the south pacific, Hawai'i, New Zealand or Australia. I'm working right now on finding very narrow sources, because I can find ones that are general and broad but not specific. I am working on finding better, more specific sources.

As I continue attending class and researching my project, new ideas are introduced to me, or come to me that will help me in my ultimate goal of a well thought-out field study conducted in Tonga.

No comments:

Post a Comment