Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Learning Journal 8

In class on Monday, we discussed the concept of time. Now, time in the first place has always been something really fascinating to me, it is always there, always passing, but never tangible. We try and fill time with the most productive things we can (sometimes), we try to make the most of our time, we want to make an impact with our time. But, no matter what we do, as we get older, it just passes more quickly and more quickly, making it seem more fleeting with every passing day. In class we discussed two forms of time; monochronic and polychronic time.

Monochronic time is like scheduled time, I have to get this done in this amount of time and that in that amount of time. Polychronic time is more fluent, it is time that we dedicate to people and doesn't necessarily have a beginning or an end. When first these two ideas of time were proposed my automatic response was to reject them, to say that this is just something that some guy (ironically with too much time on his hands) thought up and decided to throw out there. It was just one person's idea of time, and my initial reaction was to refute it, we all have different ideas of how our time is spent or what it's worth. However, the more we discussed mono and polychronic time, the more sense it really made. Yeah, I still don't necessarily believe that everything can be categorized into those two ideas of time, but they do have merit.

Over the past few days I have begun to recognize monochronic and polychronic time in my own life, as I rush to class, or practice, or a meeting. I see polychronic as I spend time with a friend, without a real beginning because the amount of time with them doesn't matter, just the fact that I spent time with them. I think it truly is fascinating to see how we spend our time, and realize that no matter what, we are never as busy as we say we are because the ways we spend our time is always a choice. Even if that choice is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment