Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Learning Journal 19

I conducted a second interview this weekend in order to fulfill an assignment for my prep course for the field study. The first time I did an interview I sort of just played it by ear, general ideas in my mind of questions I wanted to ask. I interviewed a girl from one of my classes whom I didn't particularly know very well, and I think the process went rather well. I asked a few questions which she answered diligently, the whole atmosphere was very casual and laid back. We talked between questions about whatever came up, or anything she was curious about. I believe that helped to build rapport. I was hoping for this second interview to find an older subject, someone closer to middle age, but the chance did not necessarily arise this weekend.

I interviewed a kid from my ward (but do not fear, it was someone I had exchanged very few words with before). I found in this interveiw that the interviewee seemed more distracted during the whole process, and almost anxious for it to be over. It's more difficult to conduct a meaningful interview when the person clearly does not care much about being there. I did what I could to build rapport, but it was harder this time, and I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps we didn't just 'click' as well. Anyhow, once again the interviewee was a person who hadn't much past experience with Alzhiemer's disease, but we talked a little bit more about her grandparents and elderly people in general.

I think the whole second interviewing process was a good experience because it shows that not everyone is easy to glean information from, and that you may have to try different approaches depending upon the person. You must quickly try to understand how the interviewee works and then apply an interviewing setting according to that. I'm sure that in the field interveiwing won't be easy, first of all there will be a language barrier, and secondly I will be someone very different, and will need to be able to build a solid rapport. I plan to continue interviewing people now in order to prepare myself for the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment