Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Learning Journal 6

Wednesday in class we went over some more Tongan history, the first time we did we focused on the legends and ancient history, which was interesting because it gave me insight into more of their culture and beliefs. This time we talked about more recent history, about how Tonga became a democracy and we read different accounts of riots that took place in 2006. Key word being 'different' accounts, because each article dealing with the riots had a different focus or main idea. This just goes to show that no matter who is telling you the story, you will never really understand the whole story. You will only gain a full understanding of the side of the story the person telling you is saying. So basically, when I go to Tonga, I can't generalize what people say, I can't generalize what people do, and I can't understand all Tongans based off the few I speak with. This also means that, to gain a full understanding (or a better one at the very least) of the social affects of Alzheimers on the Tongan people, I will need to talk to AS MANY people as I can. A broader scope will provide more accurate results.



No comments:

Post a Comment