Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Learning Journal 5

We did an activity in class on Monday essentially in ranking individuals based on how right or wrong we thought their actions had been. It's interesting, in such a situation, to see different people's responses and thoughts to actions regarding morality. Even in a classroom where we all (probably) share the same religious views, there are differences in how certain aspects on moral decisions are viewed. How right or how wrong people perceive others' actions. This can easily be applied to spending time in another culture because no matter where you go in the world people and societies will feel differently than you on issues. It's important to remember that even in a close knit community differing views arise, and that if they didn't the world would not progress as it has.

In that same light, I think it is also important to recognize that you also cannot generalize an entire group based off what just one or two people from that group say and do. For example, I am a kid from Alaska, and although I am considered just as American as a kid from New York City would be, you couldn't say that my lifestyle, views, and actions are what defines an American. That kid from New York City has been raised differently, probably thinks about and lives differently from me too. And yet, regardless of our immense differences, we are both Americans. You cannot generalize a population, you cannot generalize a nation, you cannot generalize a culture based off of what one or two people are like.

I will traveling to Tonga this summer, learning many new things about the world, myself, and the people of Tonga. I am excited to spend three months in a country that fascinates me studying a subject I enjoy. I am a white kid from 'the last frontier' ready to head south to the beautiful islands of Tonga. Such a contrast from where I was raised I am excited to expand my worldview and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment