Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Learning Journal 4

In class on Friday, we discussed things such as reactivity, which can be defined as the fact that someone's knowledge of something is likely to change their behavior. For example, say I'm in Tonga and I am doing a study I'm asking elderly people to chart when they wake up and go to bed for two weeks. Their knowledge that I am studying based on something like that, could easily have them change what they would normally do. This idea is something important to keep in mind for all projects, it can almost be equated to uncertainty in a physics or chemistry lab, but with real people.

This idea of reactivity can be related to my idea of  studying Alzhiemers in Tonga because I would be dealing directly with people, asking them questions, studying them, etc. It is important, in that case, that when someone knows you are studying them (or an aspect of thier lives) there will be some level of uncertainty in their answers.

I have been narrowing my focus for my project (well working on it) and am wanting to focus on the disease Alzhiemers in Tonga, how the people are treated, how common it is, how the culture accepts it, and remedies for it. I will be meeting with people this week to further discuss and develop my ideas for, and to gain feedback on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment