Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2012

The End

It's funny that after so many times that I simply wanted to hop on a plane and go home I now miss Tonga. Overall it was an absolutely amazing experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Really. Tonga was my home for three months of my life, which in the long run doesn't amount to much, but it's still something.

Right before our plane left our host mom, Uini, took us to the ocean so that we could harvest sea cucumbers. A pretty awesome last activity to do while in Vava'u if I do say so myself. The sea cucumbers were absolutely nasty but then again I tend to freak out about wierd ocean things like that. It was just really great to wade through the ocean one last time with these Tongan women and pick up sea cucumbers and the like.

Elise and I like to joke that we came full circle in this trip, that the first few weeks were like the last few weeks and to some extent it's true. But in all honesty the last few weeks were different, because, although some days were still slow, we were more comfortable here. The first few weeks we were basically alone but the last few we had friends and were confident enough to meet the stares of people in town and on the street. The last few weeks went quickly, in fact the whole trip went quickly. But I'm glad it happened. I learned a lot, not all of it to do with old people (my basic project topic) but all useful nonetheless. I learned to love these people and maybe someday I will see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment