Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The 6th of August

It's now the day before Elise and I leave Vava'u, and it in now way feels as though we are about to leave this country and reenter our own. I imagine it won't really hit me until I'm back in America.

The past few days have been filled with many farewells to and from the people here. Last Friday the primary school here in the village we live in put on a little farewell for us. All the students in the school (not just the classes we taught) we're sitting in an empty building sweetly singing upon out arrival for the farewell. All the boys were sitting on one side of the room and all the girls on the other. Elise and I sat together at the front of the room and listened while the principal gave a speech of thanks to us in english. Then we were handed a piece pf paper with our name written on it (mine was written as my Tongan name Vikatolia) and laden with necklaces and other Tongan jewelry. It was really sweet. After that we each said a few words of thanks and parting. Looking at all the little smiling faces from where I stood made me want to cry though, I really will miss all those kids. Then all the children sang "God be with you til we meet again" in tongan and it was beautiful. For the first time it really hit me that I'm leaving and will probably never see these people again. But I'm really appreciative of the time I had with them and all that I have learned from them.

Earlier today all the parents from the kindergarten we volunteer at held a feast for Elise and I and gave us more parting gifts. These Tongan people are very giving and kind. That is something I hope to take home with me from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment