Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Learning Journal 33

Two more days of class, the final due date for the proposal, and the final exam. These are the remaining things for the IAS prep class for going to Tonga. Hard to believe it is almost over and the real field study experience is just around the corner.

Last Friday I had the opportunity to present my proposal/project to a few peers. It was a really good learning experience because, as I was presenting, I was able to see what was fuzzy and was really clear in terms of my project. When you have to really explain something out loud to other people, you learn the most. Hearing myself discuss my project aloud, and thoroughly explaining all aspects of it helped me realize that I think I am decently ready. I do believe that my ideas came across clear and organized, and it hit me that this is really happening. I am going to Tonga to conduct a research project of my own making. I am going to live with a host family and become immersed in another culture for three months, learning about them and about myself.

The project that I have created is only one aspect of the whole field studies experience, and I know that when I feel lost I can always turn to completing one piece of that project for direction. I recognize that this project is not going to change lives or impact the world in any way. But it will impact me, it will help me see the world through different eyes for three months, and with that I can bring awareness into other people's lives. This I am excited for.

No comments:

Post a Comment