Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2012

Learning Journal 32

I have been reading up a bit about the local hospital on Vava'u island. Price Wellington Ngu Hospital is located in Neiafu Vava'u and is a small hospital consisting of only about two doctors and eight nurses. There are approximately 40 beds that these doctors and nurses see to on a regular basis along with obstretics, gynaecology, pediatrics, general medicine, and surgical units.

I hope to complement my field study in Tonga with the opportunity to volunteer at Prince Wellington Ngu Hospital. As a prospective medical school student, the experience that Tonga will bring me will be invaluable to my future medical career. I have decided that I will be extremely happy to volunteer in whatever capacity they need me. I have been thinking about the best way to go about obtaining this volunteering opportunity, and have looked online to see if I can find a contact email or something but have not succeeded.

I am thinking that after arriving in Tonga I can visit the hospital in person and offer myself as a volunteer if they need or could use me at all. I will also ask if I would be able to shadow them during procedures, this would be following the building of rapport of course. I don't necessarily foresee my being turned down, but if I am, the world moves on.

No comments:

Post a Comment