Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Learning Journal 24

Whenever I am approached by strangers with whom I know nothing about, I am often very reluctant to give personal or sensitive information about myself. It is only after knowing someone for a while, trusting them, that I feel comfortable with that sort of release of information. With the people of Tonga, this would be no different. I can't expect everyone to be super willing to answer my questions or be comfortable with my presence when I know that in a reversed situation I probably wouldn't be either. This leads then to the building of rapport. When I am in Tonga, the first and foremost task is going to be the buidling of rapport within the communtiy I am in. It will probably take multiple weeks until I will be at a level with people to really begin meaningful interviews and studies.

My topic tends to be much more sensitive to people, and for good reason. This means that it will most likely take much longer for me to be at a place in the community where they feel comfortable enough with me to share information. Patience will be important. I think that it is important to remember that, with only three months there, the project shouldn't be rushed. It's more important to be on good standing within the community than to get a few answers to questions. The people are ulitmately more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment