Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Learning Journal 22

There are approximately seven weeks until this semester (including finals) is officially over. Tack on anothe couple weeks beyond that and it will be time to go to Tonga. That's not a lot of time which means I 've gotta really get going on my project proposal, faculty mentor, and all that is involved with my field study. This week is going to be a little crazy in terms of everything needing to be done for my field study proposal. We are working on getting the IRB proposal done, course contracts are due by Friday and sections of the proposal are rapidly being due.

The IRB proposal is something that, because of my project, I need to really spend some quality time detailing and making very clear. I will be working with a vulnerable population, that being the cognitively impaired (Alzheimer's/dementia patients), and therefore need to be very careful and sensitive about how I go about and conduct my research. This is essentially the purpose of the IRB and I definitely want approval.

I'm currently working on my course contracts, due by Friday. There is a maximum of 9 credits allowed to take while in the field, three of which are involved in the IAS course. That leaves another 6 credits for me to fill. I have been hoping to take courses that will fulfill requirements for my gerontology minor, such as intership credit. I hope to take three credits of internship credit, followed by a course offered by my primary faculty mentor. The only issue thus far is that I don't quite yet have a faculty mentor. I will be meeting on Tuesday with one Lorilla Hawkins who is the coordinator for gerontology interships as well as the teacher of the course I would like to take in the field if possible. I am really crossing my fingers that all goes well with her and that I will be able to complete my course contracts by Friday.

I have been working on my proposal, but not nearly putting in the effort that I should be at this point. My plan for this week is to rewrite my Literature Review, because I now feel that I have a better grasp on what I need to put into it and how to go abou that. I am excited to really start making progress on my project and all involved with it. It truly brings this field study to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment